SU Carburettor

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: SU Carburettor
From: "Matt Roberts" <M.W.Roberts@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 14:27:07 GMT0BST

  I have built an supercharged engine with a one three quarter inch
SU carb.  The engine was set up OK, and drove for several months.
  At some point, it became necessary to adjust the mixture again, to
richen it.  It soon became apparent that the mixture was
progressively leaning out over time as I had to 'chase' it with the
mixture adjustment nut.  At times, the spark plugs burnt white (lean
mixt.) and the engine would only run   with the choke and
considerable overheating (air cooled motor).
  I suspect the throttle spindle is worn, and ask - Does any body
have any suggestions, or better ideas, as to what is wrong?  It is an
old carb, from a Austin Allegro 1750, so wear is not unlikely.

Thanks for any info,

Matthew Roberts