Re: Crankshaft Surface Treatments

To: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft Surface Treatments
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 01:22:13 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 15 Nov 1994, Paul Amaranth wrote:

> I ran across a very specific recommendation that Stag cranks should be
> 'Tuftrided' after grinding.  Since this is from the SOC (Stag Owner's
> Club) newsletter, 'tuftriding' of course is a Brit term.  Does anyone
> know what this is in American?  Is the process available here? Is it
> nitriding?

Tuftriding isn't a British term, it's the name of a specific type of heat
treatment, similar in purpose but not in method to nitriding.  Iron and
some steel alloys can't be nitrided, but respond well to the Tuftride
process.  If the SOC specifically recommends Tuftriding the crank, then
chances are it is made of an alloy that can't be nitrided.

Any shop that does nitriding will probably also do (or know where to get
done) Tuftriding.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu