TR6 starter and solenoid.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 starter and solenoid.
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 09:24:56 -0600
Wasn't getting a bean out of the TR6 starter or solenoid so I puuled the
little booger out to clean it. I unbolted the solenoid, cleaned the plunger
and used a iny bit of grease to lube it. I ested it on the ground, and the
plunger clicked in and out very nicely now. I went to bolt the the
solenoid back onto the starter and couldn't for the life of me work out how
the solenoid plunger connects to the actuating lever...the factory manual
gave no indication either. Just the usual "offer solenoid plunger up to
engaging lever" GRRRR!

I assume the solenoid when energized pulls the plunger towards the front
of the car, pulling on the actuating lever (which is on a pivot) thus
pushing the starter pinoin to the rear of the car so it engages o the flywheel?

eg

     flywheel   lever
        |-|      | ? ------------------    ----> plunger moves back when
        |-|      | ?  ------------------                 energized
        |-|      |
        |-|      |
        |-|      |
        |-|      O      pivot point
        |-|      |
        |-|      |
        |-|-----||
        ---|    |-----------------------------------
        ---|    |------------------------------------ Starter motor shaft
           |____|
                     ??denotes the connection point that I am confused about
              ^

              ------Starter pinion gear
Therefore, the plunger on the solenoid must attach to the lever to be able
to pull it, no? I could NOT figure how to get the puger to catch behind the
lever to pull it. In the end I just jammed the stuff up together and put
it back in the car. Suprise suprise, the solenoid would click and the
starter ould spin, but not engage the flywheel. What am I missing here.

Would somebody like to fax me a hand drawn picture of how the solenoid plunger
connects to the lever, or is my idea about how the thing works totally
out of wack. BTW people who send me mail about looking at stuff carefully before
I disassemble it will be punched...

Marcus

P.S. fax# is 217 373 4421