Re: sandblasting and compressor size

To: british-cars@AUTOX.TEAM.NET, IEDXW@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU
Subject: Re: sandblasting and compressor size
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 06:42:04 -0600
> I think I'm going to get a compressor in the very near future.  Sears has
> one on sale:  4.5hp 25 gallon (I think) and its $299.  It runs off 120V but
> can also run off 240V.

I have a sears 4hp 25 gallon. Mine runs of the wall outlet.

> My wifes father told me that this size compressor would not produce very much
> sandblasting pressure.  he said he used (15 year ago) to have a gas powered
> one and it would hardly blast enough to strip the rust and paint on a
> horse trailer.  The Sears guy said it would sand blast fine.

Mine sandblasts ok. It is the sandblaster attachment which makes the difference.
A pressurized one is 20x better. The ones that suck the sand up are
crappy (like mine!)

> How are they at pressure washing??

Dunno

> Could they be used to strip paint with the Sodium bicarb in water method
> or do you need a proper power washer??

Probably need a few speciaized bits for this...

> After I saw an air impact driver attached to a home compressor remove the
> the crank shaft nut on my 1500 in about .5 seconds after I spent about
> 1 week, 1 can of WD40, 1 cartridge of propane, 1 torque wrnech, and lots and`
> lots of sworking, I've REALLY wanted one.

I don't have one, and I've found I rarey use my air wrench just because
tou can never fit it anywhere on the damn car!!

> Any advice on air tool quality??  eg Home base has a collection of
> tools for just $60, price club for $100, and Sears for alot more.

Buy the best you can afford if you want it to last. e.g., I bought a
DA sander 3 months ago to work on my GT6....I got the cheapest ($35) and I broke
 it about 4 hours of sanding. I did take it back, and the shop graciously
accepted it back and I bought a CP one for $80 (still farely cheap as
air DAs go) but it was A LOT more powerful and smooth...

Marcus