it worked!

To: SOL LIST <BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net>
Subject: it worked!
From: Eubank Lynn Alan <eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 10:28:31 -0600 (CST)
Hi, y'all

My mostly-home-built emissions system on the MG worked! The car passed all
of the tests in the newly-instituted smog testing in Texas (DFW area).
The set-up I have involves a Weber downdraft and associated manifold. (No
discussion of performance here, nor of the PO's destruction of the
original equipment!) I added a smog pump and piping (both OEM) to inject
air into the head's exhaust chambers, then drilled fittings and added
hoses to inject air, Datsun-gulp-valve-mediated, into the intake manifold.
(The gulp valve arrangement, I found, is mandatory; without it, you get
big-time backfires on deceleration.) Finally, the set-up includes a
generic EGR valve connected to the Weber's EGR control-hose fitting and
with steel piping leading from a drilling in the exhaust manifold, though
the EGR, to a drilling in the intake manifold just below the Weber. There
is no catalytic converter.

Like I said, performance is not a great consideration here. Since the MG
is my only transportation (short of hitching a ride with my wife), the car
just had to pass the emissions tests. And I'm durned glad that it did!

later,
Lynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneubank