Re: MG trouble starting and idling

To: david@oddjob.uchicago.edu (David Schleuning), british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG trouble starting and idling
From: ambrose@cts.com (David Ambrose)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 14:29:01 -0900
At 09:54 AM 18/1/95 +0800, David Schleuning wrote:

>I've been having a lot of trouble starting my '75 MGB cold,  and even once
>it's warmed up it often dies at low idle.   When I bought the car it had
>all it's emission controlls striped out and now has a Weber DGV carborator.
> The car and I live in Wisconsin, where the weather has been mild (for the
>midwest) over the past week.  In early January, the temperature was very
>cold,  but the car started up easily and performed normally at low idle.
>Over the past month the performance has steadily degraded.  Now it is very
>difficult to start and will die if I coast to a stop sign, UNLESS I as I
>coast in I give the engine a good rev,  then sometimes it'll idle. Last
>weekend I changed the plugs and checked the sparks from the distributer and
>now all are sparking adequately.  I also took out the carborator and found
>it to be very dirty and oily.  I have since completely cleaned it with
>gasoline and reinstalled it.  At present the car continues to have trouble
>cold starting and dies at low idle.  One more clue is that if I do get it
>started and drive for say 1/2 mile, and then four hours later (lunch),  it
>will start up much easier. If it sits over night it has much more trouble
>starting.
>
>Any Suggestions???

        Check your battery.  MGs will *not* run well unless both batteries
are in decent shape.  I suspect you can see the problem if you have a volt
meter hooked up to the cigarette lighter.  You can also take the batteries
into a shop to get them tested.

        Dave

----
David Ambrose,  Proxima Corporation     ambrose@prxm.com

Play it cool,  play it cool,  50-50 fire and ice -- Joni Mitchell