Re: Lucas coils

To: Bill and Heather Putnam <hlputnam@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Lucas coils
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 22:13:18 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 19 Jan 1995, Bill and Heather Putnam wrote:

> With all of this discussion on what a ballast resistor does, does
> anyone know about the match between the inductance of the coil and
> capacitance of the condensor?  My situation is that I have an
> older MG that no longer has the original coil, but the Lucas
> Sports coil that I have now although it works fine is, I believe,
> not well matched to the original-value condensor, and hence I
> seem to go through points more quickly than I should.
>
> Any ideas?  Am I on the right track?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Putnam

It's likely you are, if your points are failing with a peak built up on
one contact and a pit on the other.  Maybe it is possible to tell by which
point has the peak whether the capacitance is too high or too low, but I
don't know which way it goes.  Trial and error is your best bet; up the
capacitance a bit, and if it gets worse, back it off.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910