Re: Noisy GT6 rear-end

To: "MICHAEL H. WARNER" <74737.2761@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Noisy GT6 rear-end
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1995 17:17:18 -0800 (PST)
Yes the GT-6 Axles have splines, but indeed they are "pinned" together.
The RotoFlex Joint is designed to absorb all of the
lengthening/shortening that goes on when the suspension moves.
        If your friend only has noise coming out of the rearend when he's
turning, it could be a few things, one may be worn spider gears.
A way to check this would be to jack the rearend up, run the car at 20
mph or so, and manually pull the E-brake actuator for one side axle
only.  This will give you the speed differential you encounter in a
corner, but at a lower stress value.
        I assumed you checked the U-joints (even the ones you recently
replaced) for smoothness.  It could be a cage bearing in the rearend
too.  As I'm sure you'll find out, GT-6's are known for their weak
rearends. I've been through at least 4 on my car.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6