RE: MGB Steering Column Bushings Question

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com.british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB Steering Column Bushings Question
From: "Don Mathis" <don1@mailstart.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 11:53:00 -0700
I went through this same problem with an MGA.  It was
tight !!  I kept adding silicone oil and working it and it FINALLY
lossen up.  There's gotta be a better way.

Don(I was on this list a few years ago.) Mathis

in my
>steering column.  The upper one is made of nylon and the lower
one is
>made of felt.  The problem is that the shaft is a really snug
fit in
>these bushings, particularly the lower felt bushing.  I haven't
greased
>these bushing yet, but even after I do, I still think it's likely
to be
>an extremely tight fit.  Ungreased, I can't even turn the wheel-
of
>course, the whole works is out of the car right now so I can't
get that
>much torquing force on it, but it doesn't seem to me it otta
be that
>tight.
>
>I did notice that the old felt bushing is a lot thinner than
the new
>one, but that may be due to 37 years of being compressed in
the column.

>TIA,
>
>Roland

Sent from a WebBox - http://www.webbox.com
FREE Web based Email, Files, Bookmarks, Calendar, People and
Great Ways to Share them with Others!