Re: ?dibble?

To: <TATERRY@aol.com>, <ARoman4047@aol.com>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ?dibble?
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 00:21:33 +0100
><< the word "dibble"  >>
>Gurunet.com gives the following:
>dib·ble (dib'?l)
>A pointed gardening implement used to make holes in soil, especially for
>planting bulbs or seedlings.
>v.tr., dib·bled, dib·bling, dib·bles.
>To make holes in (soil) with a pointed implement.
>To plant by means of a pointed implement.
>dib'bler n.

>So, I guess it could be an alternate to "drilling"

Yes, yes. The noun (tool) is a dibbER and I have a splendid specimen in my
toolshed. If
I'd had a penny for every hole its "dibbed" in its long life, I'd have been a
tax-exile
years ago. The verb has been cross-planted (no pun) and appears in The Wind in
the Willows
in support of ducks doing much the same thing. Can't remember the words of the
song but
the chorus goes along the lines of ..
"all of a quiver, up and down the river
ducks are a-dabbling up tails all."
It never ceases to amaze me at the elastic diversity of threads on these lists.
Long may
they continue

Jonmac