Re: Wire Wheel Paint

To: Terry Looft <looft@erinet.com>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Paint
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:52:33 -0400
Terry Looft wrote:

> Hey has anyone considered paintin their wheels body color or a nice
>    contrasting color e.g. BRG body/Navy Blue wheels? With the chrome
>    knock off it could look really cool!

  I don't think I would like the look with wire wheels, although
some veteran cars of the 20s and such did that with spoke wheels. (like,
wooden wheels with about ten spokes.

  I came very close to painting the steel wheels for my ZB
magnette in body colour. (black) Maybe british cars of
that era (50s) did that, usually with a chrome center hubcap
covering the lug nuts.

  The preproduction magnettes were actually that way, and these
cars were often the ones photographed for sales brochures that
survived into the cars sales period.

  With dark colours it's a very "British" look. With light colours,
I think it looks like a clown car. (my opinion!)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca