Leaky TR8 Steering Rack

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaky TR8 Steering Rack
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@scs.agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 15:57:56 -0700 (PDT)
Since I haven't seen any traffic on the list since I re-subscribed
yesterday, this is partially a test message to see if majordomo thinks
I'm sending mail form the address I think I'm sending it from.

But I do have a real question.  The steering rack on my son's TR8 is
leaking pretty badly.  After much spraying of brake cleaner and hosing
he thinks he found the leak.  It appears to be where the two halves of
the rack housing come together in the middle.  The housing is made of
tubes that fit into a caste center ring.  Fluid is seeping from the
joints where the tubes go into the ring.  I don't know how these halves
are joined to this piece.  Perhaps they're pressed or screw in.  I don't
see a welds.  Anyway, I'm wonder how common this is and, more
importantly, is there an on-the-car fix?  Hope so, 'cuz pulling the rack
ain't trivial.  I was thinking maybe J-B Weld, at least for a temp fix?

Roland