Leak in Steering Rack Joint onTR8

To: "'jear@rmi.net'" <jear@rmi.net>,
Subject: Leak in Steering Rack Joint onTR8
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 13:23:04 -0400
I had a power steering leak on my '89 XJS Conv. earlier this year. As a
temporary measure until new hoses could be fabricated and installed, I tried
a product recommended to me called 'LUCAS POWER STEERING STOP LEAK'. NO
relation to Lucas Electrics.  This product is found at most truck stops and
supply stores.

This product is a like combination of STP and ATF and HONEY. - It also must
have some isopropal alcohol to swell seals- but the good thing is the sticky
stuff sorta dries when it hits the air.

I also I fixed a weep from a power steering resevoir filler neck,where it is
press fitted to the resevoir body itself. I did install a good new giant '0'
Ring where the pump fits into the resevoir, but cleaning and painting the
canister neck seam did not solve this weep.  It is guaranteed to stop leaks
(unless the hoses are clearly split).

Use only about two film cans (4-6 oz.) and see if it solves your problem.
Keep for emergencies-
Use of the stuff in a whole system is sorta overkill- but it does work!

Sherman D. Taffel
Columbia. MD
TR4
4 JAGS