TR7 Bearings From Hell -- New Tune!

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: TR7 Bearings From Hell -- New Tune!
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:07:47 EDT
Ok.  You win.  I'm going to pull the engine and have the crank re-ground.

Why, you ask, with tears of relief running down your cheeks, did I change my
mind?  Did the electric shock therapy finally start to pay off?

I still think the suggestions I got for working with the engine in the car
would have worked, but there are a number of other considerations.

First, it's a new adventure for my son and I.

Second, I've only owned this car for about four months -- bought it from a
shade-tree mechanic who may/may not have worked on it with the correct
tools/manuals for LBCs.

Third, I don't understand why the timing chain is so damn tight, I can't turn
the crank at all unless I loosen the camshaft - so I need to take a look at
that.

Fourth, I suspect I will need a new clutch soon, so I can take care of that
at the same time.

Fifth, usual oil leaks I can take care of.

And finally, my cousin has an engine lift and stand I can use.

Now, since this is YOUR fault that I am taking out the engine, how about if
we turn this into an Internet project for all to contribute their comments
and questions?  The email I have received so far has been very helpful, and
there have been some great stories as well.

So be prepared for additional emails since I have never taken an engine out
before.

>From the manual the process looks pretty straight forward -- any "gotcha''s"
I need to be aware of?

And while I'm thinking about it, i have 145-150lbs pressure in each cylinder,
so do you think I need to do the rings?

Also, I'm going to shorten the email subject and number them, beginning with
TR7 BFH #1  (TR7 Bearings From Hell #1) for the next one.

As always, thanks for your support and interest.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC