Re: Mufflers

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Mufflers
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 23:08:20 -0600
At 10:32 PM 11/2/2000 -0500, Bob Nogueira wrote:
>Anyone know where I can get some advise on building a muffler?  I need to
construct one for my  Brighton built Isetta . It needs to be a multiple
tube type.  Modification of a  production  muffler for another application
is not possible since the inlet and outlet  need to be on the same end.
The specific information I am in need of relates to how the interior should
be designed to provide maximum sound reduction without creating too much
back pressure.

>.... ('hoping that  Barney and Eastman are still on the list )

Yeah, we still here.  And I might even be able to help with this one.
Oddball stuff is right up my alley.  You might drop by some local muffler
shop for a look, as they usually have a cut-away model hanging on the wall
as a sales tool.  My immediate approach would be to start with a ready made
unit by cutting the ends off just down the housing from the end flanges.
Then cut the pipe off of one end and plug the hole.  Then port a hole in
the opposite end along with the first pipe, and install the other pipe
there, connecting it to the open pipe end inside.  Then weld it all back
together.  If you can supply the required dimensions for the finished part,
length, width, thickness, pipe sizes and locations, I'll see if I can
conjure up a workable sketch.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and a glass packed bean can for a muffler)
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg