Cams, MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Cams, MGB
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 13:38:53 -0600
The issue of which cam has many answers, depending on trade-offs you are
willing to make and engine configuration.  From the posting it is my guess
that you have a solid but more or less unmodified engine (stock head,
valves, carbs) and are looking for a bit more performance on the
street.  Selecting any performance cam involves a compromise between poorer
performance at the low end (lumpy idle, loss of starting torque) to get a
boost at the high end.  I have had very good experience with the cam sold
by Steve at Northwest Import Parts (a Delta regrind) on my stock
mill.  This gives a nice kick at about 3500 rpm, with only a little lope at
idle (900-1000 rpm), and it's not too expensive.  Note that in any case the
engine must otherwise be in tip top shape to take advantage of a hot cam.

A. B. Bonds