MGB windshield adventures

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB windshield adventures
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:58:20 -0600
I finally got my windshield assembly put back together after replacing the
delaminating glass.  Salient comments:  (1)  The seal around the glass is
very loose as delivered and tends to flop around and not go where you want
it to.  I used a clear RTV windshield sealant to anchor it to the glass
before installing it in the frame channels.  This helps, but not
much.  (2)  If you take your frame apart, replace all screws with
stainless.  You may have to shorten the stock sizes that are available
(very important so as not to press on the glass).  Tedious but prevents
rotting into place.  (3)  All of the references I have seen recommend
installing the frame-to-body seal by pushing it into the channel through
one of the screwholes (drilled in the channel) near the uprights.  After an
hour I decided this was impossible, the rubber kept popping out of the
channel after getting about 8 inches in due to the steep angle of entry
required by the presence of the side post.  I ended up pressing one side of
the rubber into the channel and then shoving the other side in with a
flat-bladed screwdriver.  Tedious but effective.  It may be easier to mount
this seal (save the very ends) by sliding before installing the posts.

A. B. Bonds