Re: [D90] drive-ins....

To: " D90 list" <d90@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [D90] drive-ins....
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 02 07:55:41 -0800
>>The only time I've
>>ever considered a radio for the Triumph TR3 is watching a drive in movie
>>over the single tinny speaker knowing it is being transmitted over FM.
>>
>>But for drive in's I do prefer the TR3, a lap blanket, big bag of home
>>made popcorn and a thermos of hot spiced apple cider.  It just feels
>>right.
>
>I really must take in the experience that is a drive-in one day!  They don't
>exist over here except as one-offs at shows and such....  If it's enough to
>get TA to wax lyrical then it _must_ be good!

It is my understanding that there are only something like 400 drive ins
left in the US.

Luckily for me one is right here in Santa Cruz.  The city lets them run a
big flea market during the day Fri, Sat & Sun as long as they keep it a
drive in.  The huge flea market almost downtown pays for the drive in
business.

But yes, a drive in experience is very different from a walk in theater
experience.

When I was little it was sitting in the back seat in a night gown with
munches passed around and trying to stay awake till the end of the movie
but often awaking magically in my bed the next morning.

When I was a bit older it was playing on the swings, slide and other
playground stuff before the movie, waiting in line for the bathroom
between the first and second feature then trying to find the car again in
the dark.

Older yet it was going to the drive in on a date then having to ask
someone what the movie was about in case mom asked.

Drive ins were much more of a social event than sit down theaters.  For
me it is filled with fond memories.

Our local Sky View drive in has an annual nostalgia night where you come
early for a classic car get together and stay for a classic movie with
cartoons.  It gives me the oppertunity to see the movies I went to as a
teenager.

An almost extinct experience shared by an aging population.  Like so many
interesting cultural experiences it will be gone from society's
collective memory in a generation.

But until then spring is coming and it will be time to make a big batch
of popcorn, air out the lap blanket, wash both sides of the Triumph's
windscreen and check the movie times.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937