Re: Off-the-line power and speed

To: dan@ript.org
Subject: Re: Off-the-line power and speed
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@scs.agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 08:09:16 -0700 (PDT)
If you could provide more details, that would be helpful.  For example,
is this sluggishness just at low RPM?  Does the motor run smoothly, or
does it miss when accelerating and/or at steady speeds.

Lots of electrical problems can cause this.  As TJ points out, bad plug
wires, for example.  Find a darkened area, like inside your garage and
check for arcing.  Another problem I've seen with plug wires is salt
coating from driving on salted roads during the winter.  Or the internal
resistance may have changed, due to aging.

I don't know what kind of ignition system a '73 GT6 has, but check
the distributor connections.  Older cars with points can have this sort
problem if the points are worn or mis-gapped, though I'm guessing your
car has some type of electronic ignition.  Another source of problems
with a points system is the capacitor- either being faulty or having a
bad connection.  If you have an electric tach and notice a lot of needle
flickering, a bad capacitor or a bad connection to it can cause this.

With electronic ignition systems, sometimes re-soldering all of the
connections will help.

Check the coil.  I hesitate to suggest removing a plug wire and checking
to see if you are getting a good steady spark, because that can damage
both the wire's insulation and the coil.  A better way is to borrow a
coil from another car and see if that makes a difference.

A faulty fuel pump can cause sluggishness too, but this should be
noticeable when accelerating at higher speeds too.

Of course, it could also be a clutch problem.  I'm assuming you're not
noticing any slippage (engine RPM serging) when engaging the clutch or
during moderate acceleration?

Roland