Re: Squire II

To: "'british-cars@autox.team.net'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Squire II
From: Craig Reese <creese@spillman.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 08:47:02 -0600
Lurk mode off....

Howdy folks! Need your collective thinking caps on this one. I have a '61
Bugeye that is giving me headaches getting the braking system to operate
properly. The symptoms....As the brake pedal gets worked a number of times the
travel in the pedal gets less and less until the brakes are totally synched up,
none of the wheels will turn at all. If I loosen the brake pipe connection that
goes to the master cylinder at the four way junction where the pipes split off
to all the wheels, and let a little bit of fluid out, the brakes release. I
work the brake pedal some more and get the same results, every time. Now the
history. I ended up having to replace the original master cylinder with one out
of a 1098cc car, which I thought would be no problem since externally they are
the same, and the only real difference inside is the bore size of the cylinder.
I have also replaced every wheel cylinder. I even ended up having the master
cylinder bored and sleeved to stop it from leaking. I have bled the lines using
the two man system of one at the brake, and one at the bleed screw (push, off,
push, off etc.) and a pressurized bottle system, and a combo of both. Each
time, absolutely no problem getting the fluid to flow to the wheels. Yet, every
time the brake pedal gets worked a bit the brakes lock up. I disassembled the
master cylinder to check for any blockages and there are none, and the check
valve also appears to not be the cause because I tried this routine without it
in the master cylinder. Could this be caused by the piston in the master
cylinder not being allowed to return all the way back to the end cap of the
master cylinder where the push rod enters the master cylinder?