Re: Triumph 1500 Catalitic Converter caused fire

To: Rick Reineman <rick@reineman.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph 1500 Catalitic Converter caused fire
From: "Chris K." <ckotting@wideopenwest.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:17:45 -0400
Rick -

Someone else suspected the mixture/timing.  What you'd be looking for is
mixture too rich or timing too late.  Either one will leave unburned
fuel in the exhaust stream, which the catalytic converter will happily
combust (that's how a catcon gets rid of unburned hydrocarbons...).  As
you might guess, this creates copious amounts of heat.  I've seen them
glow better than red-hot.

Chris K.