Re: [British-cars] Soundproofing

To: Tom Brocke <teb250@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [British-cars] Soundproofing
From: Mark Mason <mason@postdiluvian.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 21:44:07 -0500
Tom Brocke <teb250@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have seen this sound-proofing foam on ebay ... look up ebay Motors,
> item # 120408310759;
> It, too, is a little pricey.
> I cannot give any evidence of its value, but the guy selling it is open
> to questions.

Interesting...  I found the manufacturer, GSI Corp, at
http://www.stopthesound.com/updatedpricelist.html

It's cheap compared to Dynamat, which is up to $13/sq ft in small
quantities.  The guy on ebay is selling the GSI stuff cheaper than the
manufacturer, probably buys it in bulk.  GSI sells kits for Detroit
12V71 turbo covers, so I guess I don't have to worry about heat.

I stopped at the auto paint shop on the way home, they had Dynamat, as
well as Evercoat (similar to Dynamat) in 12" X 12" squares.  It was
closer to $5/sq ft, so I got some.  I'm actually using this batch to
quiet down a sheet metal lathe cabinet, and it worked well enough.

I've tried spray-on goo, underbody rubberizing stuff, in the past, and
wasn't impressed.  There's a new generation of truck bed coating these
days, might be worth a try.  The Evercoat is heavy stuff, like a sheet
of tar, and sticks better than bituthane (don't ever try that).  It
seems like the weight is what really makes the difference..

Thanks for all the tips!