Fuel Pump Help

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel Pump Help
From: "Glen R. Wilson" <GlenWilson@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:34:04 +0000
Could I get some feedback on electric fuel pumps for an SD1 engine
that is basically stock except for being converted from EFI to
carburetor.

It's not really a performance question.  I'd just like to have a good
electric pump that doesn't click constantly and drive me crazy.

The previous owner installed your basic $60 Carter electric fuel pump
in the car.  I replaced some fuel hoses and made sure the pump was
isolated as much as possible via some rubber mounts.

Since the the pump is a motor with an impeller, I dont' understand
why it clicks and knocks like one of those solid-state pumps.  I did
notice that the pump is oriented horizontally while Carter
specifically says to mount it vertically.  Would changing the
orientation have much of an effect on the sound?

Any other suggestions?

Glen

Glen R. Wilson  <GlenWilson@worldnet.att.net>

Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

1967 Rover 2000TC
1970 Rover 3500S
1980 Rover 3500 SD1
1991 Rover K9 Boxer