P76 Head Question

To: "buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net" <buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: P76 Head Question
From: Greg_Williams@cayennesoft.com (Greg Williams)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:22:10 -0500
     Some time back I requested some info about the cryptic name "Hanson"
     stamped on a set of P76 4.4 heads I've got.  Other than a few
     interesting message I got came from a gent from OZ, Warwick Williams.
     Thought I'd share it with you.

     Greg

     Got a funny feeling that there was a mob in New Zealand called Hanson
     Engineering that had something to do with Leyland-related vehicles.

     Is this stamp on both heads?

     If so which end of the head is stamped?  Remember the heads for either
     bank are the same so if each head is stamped at the opposite end then
     the stamping was probably done on an assembled engine.

     What are the casting numbers?

     Do the heads have the early style (Mini) or late style (Gemini) valve
     guides?

     Do you have the engine number these heads came from, or the VIN of the
     vehicle in which the engine was fitted?

     From that you may be able to establish the model of P76 and a rough
     production date.  You then perhaps could establish if it was a NZ car.

     Best of Luck

     Waz
     Greg,

     The block number would indicate roughly when the engine was produced
     and it should look like 44XX-XXXX and be on the back edge of the block
     just behind the left hand head.

     In Australia production ceased in October 1974 but New Zealand
     production (in kit form) continued till the beginning of 1976.  Though
     all engines were built in Australia the engine number would tell me
     exactly which model P76 the car came from and may give an indication
     of whether the car was built for the Australian or New Zealand market.
      (Still a bit of guess work involved.)

     Bear in mind the very first early heads were manufactured in Britain.
     The casting numbers for these I think had a 001 batch number (or
     something like that) near the production number.

     I'm wondering why if both heads are stamped why only one is ported?
     Are the heads from different engines?  Can you describe the shape of
     the top of the valve guides or the shape of the valve seals?

     Also, I must admit to being curious about what are you doing with a
     P76 motor in the US?

     Have you heard of the relationship between the P76 V8 and the Buick
     V8?

     As for Hanson Engineering I'd have to look through the masses of
     paperwork I have regarding Leyland Australia.  They may have
     performance modified Rovers or Leyland vehicles in general but I'm not
     sure.  The name rings a bell though and I thought of New Zealand
     straight away so maybe that's it.  I'll let you know if I find
     anything.

     Regards,

     Warwick

     PS About 6 or 7 years agao I heard of an American guy putting P76
     motors in kit planes.  Do you anything about this?

     PPS Nice surname!