Re: change of brake fluid

To: "Perry Robinson" <PROBINSO@flower-mound.com>,
Subject: Re: change of brake fluid
From: "Andrew R. Lindberg" <andylindberg@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 13:20:27 -0500
>> > You can easily switch between silicon brake fluid and your current
>> glycol
>> > (DOT3/4) based brake fluid.
>> > It doesn't matter if some is left behind it may be mixed, although some
>> > benefits of silicone based fluid will be reduced.

Most of what I've seen on this subject, advises that DOT 3/4 and DOT 5
(silicon) are incompatible, and mixing them will cause trouble.  The normal
recommendation is to completely, absolutely get the 3/4 all out of there
before you put the 5 in.  I "may" have lost a clutch master cylinder due to
this problem, although there were certainly other possible reasons for it to
fail.

>> > The advantage is that silicon fluid doesn't absorb moisture
>> > Preventing corrosion is the main reason why silicon brake fluid is
used.

Another advantage is that it doesn't act like paint remover as does DOT 3/4.
I have had several engine compartments scarred when the 3/4 got loose.

-- Andy L.