Re: Cam Bearing Problems

To: "larry diede" <ldiede@hotmail.com>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cam Bearing Problems
From: "The Becketts" <hillman@bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 07:10:42 +1000
>I find two things wrong with this procedure.  First, I do not think that
the
>scrapeing job was done very well.  It looks terrible, (worst than the
>200,000 miles plus bearings that were in the engine originally) with scrape
>marks that go completly across the bearing surface.  This can't be good for
>oil containment.

I'm not sure about car engines but hand-scraped bearings were the norm many
years ago in steam engines.  A hand-scraped bearing actually holds oil
better and will outlast many a machined bearing.  It is not unknown for
hand-scraped bearings to still look new after 60 years of running 24 hours a
day.

The scraping creates very shallow depressions which hold oil.  But usually
scraping for accuracy requires a surface plate and engineer's blue rubbed on
to be able to see the high spots.

Ron