my disc brakes

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: my disc brakes
From: buldogge@inlink.com (Mark Andrews)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 22:31:38 -0500
Hey everyone... Since several people asked about the 4 wheel discs on my
'62 Skylark...I'll fill you in with what I know about the set-ups...  My
front set-up work was done by an outfit called Obsolete Brake Works on Long
Island (I can dig up the # if anyone's interested)... a similar set-up is
sold by Master Power Brakes in Virginia... both include a power brakes
booster/master to replace the original that is basically useless unless you
are willing to do some "bodywork" (I did)... You must provide your spindles
for modification...that is notching and installation of plate steel caliper
carriers and a press on bearing carrier... They provide all the parts down
to the bolts,lines, and brake prop valve... The kits utilize VERY common GM
midsize parts... It will cost $500 to $900... At some point I should be
able to provide the part #'s etc... It shouldn't be hard to duplicate at
all!  My rear set-up comes by virtue of a built L**c*ln Versailles 9" rear
with discs... These are identical width to the original Buick rear... I had
a chassis shop swap the bottome arm/spring perches and fabricate new
(slightly re-positioned for load up) top arm mounts... I can't report on
the effectiveness of these changes...but you can imagine given the weight
of the car that IT WILL stop on a dime!!!  Hope some of this helps...

Mark in St. Louis

ps... I had no problems when I built both 215's (Buick and Olds Jetfire)
getting bearings...all Clevite 77 (Federal Mogul were also definately
available)...