LT77 5 speed box

Subject: LT77 5 speed box
From: "Opstal, Lex van" <agopstal@huygmetaal.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:48:29 +0100
Simon,

I would stop at the spot.
According to RPI the cause for whining is a misalignment problem of the
gears due to wear or slackness in the taperbearings.
When you contimue to drive you will be wearing the gears and the teeth
in no-time while when you exchange the bearings
and do the appropriate shimming to get the right tolerances you might
save the box.

Again, it would be nice if someone who has done this work could comment.
Rebuilding shouldn't be too diificult only needing a puller ar two.

Lex.