RE: Pushrods/Camshafts/Weber carbie

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Pushrods/Camshafts/Weber carbie
From: "P Burgers" <PBURGERS@CPLS.WCAPE.GOV.ZA>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 07:27:04 +0200
Some time back I posted a query to the list about cam problems I was
having with my Rover V8.

The end of the saga was this:

I suspected that the machine shop had taken too much off the heads
when they skimmed them - this turned out to be so....

Not only that, when they recut the valve seats, they were a bit
over enthusiastic on cylinders 7 and 6 [opposite sides] and cut the
seats very deep on the exhaust valves.

When we put the beast back togehter and checked the valve lift
individually [sheesh 16 valves!!!] we found:

Number 6  28 thou excess lift on the exhaust valve, number 7 the same.
all other valves 4-6 thou. excessive lift.

result was the valves weren't closing properly, some lifters were
bottoming put and bending rods, and the thing ran like a dog.

we fitted a set of adjustable rods and set the pre-load so that the
lifters wouldn't bottom out and bend the rods.  Engine now runs
sweetly.... sort of!

Carbie is a Weber 38DGAs with 160 mains, CO level is running at
about 2% on  3000rpm.  The engine just doesn't give you a nice shove
in the back when you boot it.  Manifold is a standard Rover with the
tower machined off.  Thoughts are that the machinist didn't do a good
job and somehow has altered the flow characteristics of the manifold.

Any comments, or advice on jetting etc.???

Peter B
Cape Town