My TR7/V8 engine is dying .....

To: "tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>,
Subject: My TR7/V8 engine is dying .....
From: Mike Jeffreys <jeffremj@iname.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:16:40 +0100
.... well it looks like it. Anyone care to agree :-)

For starters, the oil consumption is, but has been for a year or 2,
quite high. But my main worry is what happened recently:
under full throttle at 1000rpm in 5th gear, the car would 'miss' and
falter. Easy fix, check the spark. What I found was that ONLY ONE spark
plug had an enormous gap (40 thou). All the others were 25 thou. Why
would one plug wear so badly as the mixture and spark timing is the same
for at least 4 plugs (twin SUs)? I did 'seem' to notice that one bank of
plugs were oily-er than the other. Perhaps an oily plug will wear more?

After re-gapping the plug I then took the car for a blast and found that
at tick-over the revs held at 2500rpm - so much for engine braking. Lets
hope this was a one-off, perhaps a sticking SU piston as the tickover
soon returned to normal.

All a little worrying - perhaps I should limit the revs to under 6000
:-)