Re: Speedo drive on '63

To: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@colorado.edu>
Subject: Re: Speedo drive on '63
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:05:48 -0700
Jim,

        My recollection is that all U.S. made speedometers of that time
period were calibrated for 1000 revolutions per mile.  That means the cable
turns 1000 RPM when the car is traveling 60 MPH.  The trick was to choose
the correct driven gear so you would actually get that speed out of the
cable for your particular combination of rear axle ratio and rear wheel
size.  There were usually several different gears offered to suit original
production variations of these parameters.

        I have the notion that there was no standard caibration for British
cars----others??????

Cheers,

Dave K.