Re: stroker 215 question

To: jphillips@cvalley.net (Julie Ann Phillips)
Subject: Re: stroker 215 question
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 18:32:08 -0700
Julie,

        May I make a quick reply to both your questions?  The question of
using the automatic tranny to make a manual bell-housing is indeed an
interesting one.  What you may not realize is that the housing is not
separate on the  auto.  It would have to be cut off and fully
machined--probably a very expensive one-off proposition.  This is assuming
the dimensions would closely match those of the manual housing.  I have no
idea if that may be so.

        Most stroker engines are based on the Buick 300 crankshaft which
gives a stroke of 3.4" compared to the 215's original 2.8" stroke.  This is
a signicicant increase and many tried and proven combinations of parts have
been successfully built many times by many people.  The stroke of the Buick
340-350 crank is 3.85".  This is massive for the tiny 215 block.  It has
been done but my guess is that it would not be recommended by most
experienced people.  For either crank, the main journals have to be ground
.200" smaller--from 2.500" to 2.300".  My thought is also that, the longer
the stroke, the more this grinding would weaken the crank.  It is probably
not a particularly strong one in the first place.

        There are many more details which would also need to be considered.
Hope I do not sound like a complete spoilsport.

Regards,

Dave Kernberger