Morgan +8 water pump

To: <gkneisley@mediaone.net>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Morgan +8 water pump
From: "Kerry Seibert" <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:45:18 -0500
GARY -
(You may have already gotten an answer from Lorne, but here goes.....!)

Changing the water pump in a +8 is one of the most unpleasant things you may
have to do.  As you found out, "working space" is non-existent.  Some folk
swear they can change it with bonnet, radiator, etc. in place but I always
take everything off to get a front end view of the whole mess while I'm
working.  It may seem like a lot of extra work at first, but I do think it
does make things easier.  So ......

1. remove bonnet (ie hood), carefully sliding it off in one piece and not
allowing it to fold up, etc.  (two man job) and store someplace safe
2. remove front grill and cowl piece
3. remove radiator (after draining cooling system), fan belt, and water pump
pulley
4. remove bolts holding water pump on
5. HERE is where you run into TROUBLE!  Two (if I remember) bolts are very
long and "may" (probably will) hit the horizontal tube as you try to
withdraw them.
6. Disconnect the motor mount brackets at the chassis bottom not at the
rubber motor mounts at the top.
7. loosen the exhaust down pipes from their manifolds
8. using a soft but strong piece of wood, you may now GENTLY jack up the
engine from underneath.  Check around first to make sure nothing else is
hanging up or is
   an obstruction.  You only need 1/2 to 1 inch of raising. The
engine/gearbox assembly will have some "give" for you.
9. reassembly, as they say, is the reverse of the above
10. do not over tighten the water pump bolts (double-check me but I believe
only 20 pounds?)
11.  since you have everything apart, I would take the "opportunity" to
change the upper and lower radiator hoses, the fan belt, and maybe even have
the radiator
      professionally cleaned out

Cheers,  Craig Seibert      1961 Morgan 4/4         1968 Morgan +8

OK, let me pose a question.

I have a small coolant leak, apparently coming somewhere from the front of
the engine, probably the seal behind the water pump.  It drips down the
front of the block.  What, in the learned experience of the group, are
precautions to removing the water pump and installing a new seal.  Sounds
simple enough, but having never done it would appreciate any tips before
getting in too deep for my low level of ability.   Does anyone have the
source number for the seal?

This is a 1990-91 vintage 3.9Liter EFI engine, in a Morgan +8 and it is very
tight resulting in poor visual access so my guess is this is where the
coolant is coming from.  All hoses look good.

Thanks

Gary