Newbie introduction, longish!?

To: "Buick-Rover-V8" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Newbie introduction, longish!?
From: "Wente" <dlwrew@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 08:56:28 -0500
I feel like I've come in to a twelve step meeting. Hello, my name is Rick and
I bought another Triumph. I've followed the big list for Triumphs for some
time now, lurking, saving, chuckling, and occasionally questioning, in regards
TR6(pl). The project for this year was to get the daily driver out of winter
storage, and to get to the next project, putting the good body onto the
replacement frame with good engine to get a second 6 back on the road
(supposed to be a graduation present). That was until I was contacted for a
second time about an 8 for sale. As I did the first time I was called last
fall I started alerting other club members about the car for sale. My wife
commented that I shouldn't be so quick to give away opportunities, and that
she wanted to look at the car. We went, we saw, she bought. I drove it home,
uneventfully. Tried to drive twice again, with poor response. I have no books
on the 8, no experience looking for info on the net, yet, and desire to turn
this into another daily driver. Details are sketchy as to history of the car,
but here is what I know. 1980 model, modified with Offenhauser manifold,
Holley carb, Mallory dizzy, unknown headers, no emission controls, some
electrical problems (tach disconnected because PO says it shorted), a sneak
circuit somewhere discharging the battery. Right now ignition seems to be
cutting out intermittently under load in any gear. Mallory Brit site suggests
wire fault in the dizzy. Question about the fuel inertia switch, this car has
a cylindrical clear thingy in the fuel line with no electrical wires held in a
clip on the firewall. Stock or replacement? Doesn't look like the flywheel
motion sensor I have learned to love in the Volvos! I hope to have more
questions appropriate to the lists as time and budget allow work on the 8. I
need to get it reliable for the convention in Red Wing (only one hour
downriver) so I can meet people I've read. Thanks in advance for sharing
knowledge and encouragement.

Rick Wente
Stillwater MN
73 TR6 daily driver wannabe
74 TR6 OK body, blown engine, rusted frame
74 TR6 frame, engine, running gear (all that's left from parting out my first
TR purchase
80 TR8 modified for daily driving?!
assorted Volvos and Dodge Caravan