[Wedge] Fw: A/C relays

To: "jay snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Subject: [Wedge] Fw: A/C relays
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:25:29 -0500
Message text written by "jay snavely"
>> I am confused about which relays are for the A/C system.  I know one of
the
> 4 in front of the compressor is for the compressor.  Is there another
relay
> for the A/C?  The TRF parts book shows one in the glove box is for the
A/C,
> but I don't know which one it would be and what its function is?  There
is
> also an apparent error.  It shows the square ones and the round ones
having
> the same PN.
<

I don't have my book in front of me so I can't speak to the relay at the
fuse block except to say that the TR7 has a master relay for the AC system.
 I don't know if the TR8 does as well.

Three of the four relays at the left head lamp control the fans.  One fan
responds to the temperature switch mounted in the radiator and will engage
the two fans in a series configuration and they will run at a slow speed.
The temperature switch in the manifold, which switches at  a higher
temperature, will pull in the other two relays with will reconfigure the
electrical connections and run the fans at high speed.  Sounds complicated
but it is a simple but elegant method of making a multispeed fan system.

Furthermore, there are two fuses that power the fans.  One fuse will run
both fans when in series (low speed) and one of the two fans in high speed.
 The other fuse will power the other fan in high speed.  This means that if
one fuse blows you will still have fans but in reduced capcity.  One down
fall of the system is that with no blown fuse indicator you can run quite
some time and never know you have a bad fuse.  This happened to me.  I
never noticed anything was wrong until I was stuck in traffic and the
temperature rose higher than I though it should.  A new fuse and things
were back to normal.

Dave