heat-treat castings

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, Rover V8 list <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: heat-treat castings
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 17:07:34 -0400
Seems to me that a long time ago there was some discussion on this list
about wether or not aluminum castings were heat-treated (I think someone
was welding a bell-houseing or something).  I don't recall the specifics
of the original thread, but I came across a few articles in the last
month that referred to pistons (cast) and engine blocks and heads being
heat-treated to T-6 specs.  I doubt that all castings receive that
treatment, but in the most general sense: it is possible to heat-treat
aluminum castings, and probably something to consider when welding.
    I asked my machinist about this when he was TIGing up some of the
more hideous pits on my Buick 300 heads.  In my case he said that the
heat was applied in such a small and controlled fashion that it didn't
warrant re-heat-treating, but that major repairs might.  Lets hope I
never need major repairs.
James Jewell