Re: 45 Elan Tires

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net, lotus-cars@lists1.best.com,
Subject: Re: 45 Elan Tires
From: Betty Braun <elan66@ccia.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:06:40 -0800
Andres Sta. Maria wrote:

> Tim,
>
> I'm somewhat old-fashioned here, but why don't you go back to the original
> 155-13s in the original aspect ratio, probably Dunlop SP Sports (which may
> no longer be available) or perhaps Aquajets, which was discussed on the List
> some time ago.  I think the Elan looks and drives best on them, but this is
> a personal view.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andres
> Lotus 45 S4 DHC

        Just my 2 cents on the subject. When I bought my Elan, it had Dunlop SP
tires on it. Bar none, they were the worst d*****d tires I have ever
owned. Hopelessly out of round and impossible to balance, they were
horrendous in the rain, and hard as a rock in the dry. I have to believe
that there is a modern equivalent that is not so sticky as to lose the
handling "slidability" of the car. It is unfortunate that there are so
few choices in stock tires.
        For a few years I ran Michelin XZX tires, which were hard like the
Dunlops, at least they were round. I am currently running Pirelli P-6s,
but I do not believe them to be available in stock size ( I use
175-70-13) . They are not particularly sticky, which is OK, and they are
decent in the wet.
        I am certainly most interested in any info on tires for Elans, there
are so few realistic choices.
        My opinion is that just because ACBC bought the cheapest tires he could
get doesn't mean I have to. Just my 2 cents.

                        Mike Braun 66 Elan S3 FHC