Re: Re[8]: Lotus Blasphemy?...

To: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>, rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Subject: Re: Re[8]: Lotus Blasphemy?...
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 14:06:21 -0800
Tony wrote:
>>> These are the patches from the front
>>> wheels of a front wheel drive car in the
>>> same corner which must transmit
>>> steering forces AND driving forces and,
>>> *all other things equal*, are forced to
>>> assume heroic slip angles which cause
>>> loss of adhesion, and running off the road
>>> and into trees! <

Steve replied:
>> Tony, thank you for your lucid explanation. At this point may I remind
>> you that one of the M100s attributes is grip, grip, grip to obviate this
>> effect. Those Lotus guys ain't stupid you know!

Tony responded:

Meanwhile, Rod wrote:
>  Ah thanks Tony!

My thanks, too, Tony.  It's nice to have people like you and Rod around,
who are willing to spend time to gently counsel the less knowledgable.

I sometimes tend to get too impatient, with people who don't understand
handling, driving, and why handling near the limit is a completely
different thing than handling at 8/10ths.  It takes someone who
understands these things, to really appreciate the various rwd vs fwd
arguments.  Steve doesn't fully understand yet, but I believe real
progress is being made!

My impatience can sometimes show in the tone of my posts, when I get too
fired up on these subjects, and so I have found that it is really best
to leave the the debate in the hands of those who are a little more
diplomatic.

Tony has risen well to the occasion, in this particular case.  Bravo.

Rod has carried the flag well in various previous cases.

> And of course, this brushes against that old
> "purpose of F1" arguement where it's technology of the "highest
> tech" vs. drivers of the highest skill and how to balance the two
> with the rules.

A very basic and important dichotomy, but one which I fear Steve may
not yet fully get the significance of.

> More directly to the original point though,
> driveability of the car is only an issue to somebody who goes to the
> limits.  Below that level,  the technology (tires, calibrated
> suspension bushings... whatever  gives lots of pure grip) is welcome
> magic.  Are you listening, Steve?   ;-)

Rod, I think a lot could be accomplished if Steve drove a slalom school
with you as his instructor!

Regards,
Erik Berg