ABS

To: <lotus-cars-errors@lists.best.com>, <chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: ABS
From: Rod Bean <rodbean@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 97 16:26:42 -0800
M426hemi@aol.com> wrote on
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 21:09:48 EST:

>I'm sure that no one on this list actually thinks that their driving skills
>are good enough to beat a modern, well tuned, ABS system
>consistently...especially in less than perfect weather conditions.

>Remember that ABS systems on passenger cars are usually tuned with to the
>three "S's" (Stability, Steerability, Stopping disrance), in that order.
>Given that requirement, the rear wheels are forced to a "select low" control
>algorithm.  That causes the rear brake torque to be governed by the lowest
>output rear wheel (usually the inside wheel on a turn).  Even with this
>advantage, I defy most people to beat the system continuously on a track.

Most decent race drivers will not only beat the street type ABS you
describe but will find the ABS to be a hinderance to them.  That said, if
the ABS can be retuned to put stopping distance first while ignoring
stability and steerability, maybe technology would win in the end.  The
problem with all ABS systems I've experienced is that they *limit*
stopping ability to assure stability and steerability at all costs.  That
takes important elements of control out of the hands of the driver.  That
very instability is a handy tool.  For the rest of the world, all
manufacturers need to do is to provide an on-off switch the way some do
(NSX, for instance) for that other great crutch, traction control.

Rod