Re: Barber Museum and 38s

To: Chapman Era List <chapman-era@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Barber Museum and 38s
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:45:13 -0800 (PST)
Hi Tony,

Meant for this to go to the list, but have a look at
the revised edition if you like!

Regarding the barber museum - WHAT? No Sevens?

Oh well, I enjoyed looking over Jim Clark's 38 at the
Henry Ford Museum with my son's fourth grade class
last year (at least with the boys I dragged round 'til
I found it in the back!) I had them stand at the front
and try to pick out what was odd about the car...
obsevant fellows, they couldn't spot the offset body -
so obvious when you look at the car from the front!
Then they got to listen to me go on about Chapman's
brilliance in automotive design, how Lotus were robbed
of the '63 Indy victory, but also how Chapman
basically stood Indy on its ear!

Also lucked across Tommy Smothers' 38 in Reno last
year... not quite as awe inspiring as Jim Clark's car
but fascinating nonetheless... now who can tell me the
history of that Smothers car?

I'll have to go back to Andrew Ferguson's "Team Lotus"
when I'm done with "Jim Clark at the wheel" !

cheers,
John D
or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

///