Re: odd thing.... (speedo malfunction)

To: teabag@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: odd thing.... (speedo malfunction)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:37:51 PST8PDT
Kathy wrote:
> While  I was  driving  on new years day, i observed that i was  doing
> about 60-70 and  everything was  fine... then i noticed that  the
> speedometer  went  down to zero..

Usually the cable, but there's usually some warning - a jumpy needle,
a whine. In my case, the 90 degree gear that attaches to the transmission
came apart - two halves, split right in the middle! No one I've talked to
has ever heard of such a failure, but I have proof that it can happen! As
a quick fix I shoved mine back together and wired it together, and
checked the tranny oil level a lot (surprisingly, no leakage!). This part
is NLA from Nissan but Ross (http://home.istar.ca/~datsun) fixed me up
with another.

Note: Only the 1600's came with this 90 degree gear drive.

-- John