Re: timing/octane and weather

To: philip.erickson@Agouron.COM, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: timing/octane and weather
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 09:28:34 EDT
Higher octane gas does have lower BTU content, and therfore
less energy per volume, however, the thermodynamic advantages
of higher octane are that the spark can be advanced resulting in a
longer burn time and a more efficient heat engine, which in most
cases is of greater magnitude than the BTU issue.  Right also about
too much spark, too much spark, resulting in pinging, will damage
the engine over time.  I guess the point I was originally trying to
speak about was that Hi Octane allows a bit more advance, and
a little more power and MPG, all else being equal.
Rainy and cold here in Chesapeake, which means I didn't go fishing
this morning and will have to go out to the garage and work
on the roadster project.  I love this kind of weather!
Jim
67 1600
Chesapeake Va