Re: Random alternator question...

To: "Thomas Walter" <walter@omni.sps.mot.com>,
Subject: Re: Random alternator question...
From: "Rob Robinson" <FastrTime@t-three.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 16:55:35 -0400
    Actually, I was well aware of the "correct" hookup for the S and L
terminals. However, I have been doing the sort of conversion I mentioned in
my post (using a single connection for both S and L) for over 10 years now
with no problems. The sort of problem you mention will only occur IF there
is a problem with the internal regulator...in which case it is nearly always
a bad regulator in the first place...which normally means a replacement
alternator, unless you have a reliable rebuilder nearby (I don't).
    It is nice to have the warning lamp, however, for ease of installation
for the electrically challenged, I recommend the single wire hookup.
    On self-excitement... That is a neat trick! I've seen that problem many
times myself. I've also seen several cars with no hookup to S and L, or a
loose "T" connector. The owner just blips the throttle to get it to start
charging. The only trouble is, without a reference voltage, the alternator
often puts out up to 18volts...the lights burn VERY bright for about 2
weeks, then burn out. Radios, EFI and electronic ignition systems don't like
it much either.

Rob Robinson
CSP 67 2000
Roanoke, Va