dually heater valves

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: dually heater valves
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 22:19:46 -0700
That's a British feature,
        so do treat it gently! <grin>  On the Brits, their heater valves passed
so much when 'off' that they added a second, "Summer" valve to keep the
heater off in the summer.  The later roadsters don't have it, and I'd
bet that the early ones don't need it.  But, like the hand throttle and
the S/Brake knob, it adds character.  Reminds me of when I was finishing
the bodywork on my '68...  (long, boring story to follow)
        It should have been a parts car- everything was wacked and dented- but
no rust, so I was all fired up to learn bodywork.  After most of a year,
I had the panels straight and true, the gaps... well, reasonable, and
the corners sharp.  Then I ran across someone who had just done a
nut-and-bolt frame- off on a 67.5.  The workmanship and attention to
detail was amazing. I would have gone INSANE being that careful.
        The body, on the other hand, was wavy, the panel fit was mediocre, and
overall, just not outstanding.  The restorer/owner was quite proud of
using "all original sheet metal."  It was just like it had been 30 years
ago, and probably a 95 point car.  I just couldn't get past the poor
metalwork!
        I guess that's the difference between an 'original' resto and 'making
it right.'  Sometimes the flaws were built in.

duh
Toby