Coil Problem?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Coil Problem?
From: Robert.Long@CSDInc.com
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 08:39:16 -0600
Hi,

On Monday, I was singing "On the Road Again", and today I'm crying "In the
Garage Again".

This past weekend I got my 67.5 1600 running real sweet, I could just tap
the ignition and it would fire up, then went to start it again on Monday,
and I couldn't get it to fire.  I decided that the coil had gone bad.
I installed a new coil last night.  I tested a few things with my light bulb
tester, light was bright at the "+" coil terminal, bright down to the
distributer, and good spark at the points.  So, I fired it up, no problem,
then it died about a minute later.  I couldn't get it to refire, so I got my
tester back out.  The light was dim at "+" coil terminal, and nothing at the
distributer.

What is happening to my coil?  I'm wondering if I have something wired
wrong.  Here's what I have:
  "+" battery to the starter
  "-" battery to ground
  "-" battery to alternator (the wiring diagrams don't show this)
  "+" coil to "+" resistor
  "-" coil to distributer
  "-" coil to condensor mounted above the coil
  "-" resistor to somewhere among the dash area, couldn't trace it (ignition
switch?)
  I also have a condensor on the distributer hooked up where the wire from
the coil comes in (should I have 2 condensors?)

I'm not an automotive or electrical pro, but if you need a mainframe COBOL
programmer, I'm your man.  Thanks for any and all input!

Robert Long
2 67.5 1600s
Albuquerque, NM