Even more on heater valves

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Even more on heater valves
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 21:32:08 EDT
Got a frozen or leaky heater valve?  Read this.
I removed the heater valve closest to the firewall today after work,
the one that has the cable going to it.  Being an ex Machinist Mate,
USN, I had to take it apart.  Turns out its a ported plug valve with
a body to bonnet gasket (mine had been RTV'd), and the stem seal is
a simple O-Ring.  What this means is anyone with a wire brush and
30 cents for a new O-Ring at the hardware store
can rebuild it, unless its really worn internally (if the plug
wobbles at all in its bore it will chew up the O-Ring).  Do not use a
wire brush inside or on the plug, use a toothbrush and some solvent.
Mine was frozen in place, and took considerable penetrating oil and
patience to free up, and the fasteners were steel.  I replaced the fasteners
with brass to match the valve and assembled with a small dab of antisieze
on the threads.  Works fine, and passed a 20psi pressure test
(My air compressor regulated down, and my finger over the other hole)
This is a lot of words for a heater valve, but it may help someone out
there with one that's frozen, or a leaker.
Jim
1600  67
Chesapeake Va