Re: new fan/pully

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, mclothier@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: new fan/pully
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Sat, 15 May 99 14:45:20 CDT
Mike,

I went with the four bladed fan, a solid spacer (replaced the OEM
clutch), and kept the original double groove water pump pulley.

I was looking under the hood at Chuck Farley's roadster last night.
His waterpump pulley is a large single groove item. Noticed it ALMOST
rubs the water pump. When looking closer at the spacer between
the pulley and fan, we could see a SECOND spacer. About 3/32" thick.
Odd, as if that was UNDER the pulley, next to the water pump flange,
his pulley would line up better to the alternator & crank, and leave
a little more clearance next to the waterpump inlet house.

As WHY I was looking under his hood is another story. We went for
a quick run, and his engine was making a loud racket. He mentioned it
had just started that afternoon. Odd, as it sounded like a timing
chain noise, but those do not start "all of the sudden".  Hmm, so
in the process of looking, we popped off the valve cover.  Upper
retaining bolt on the guide had backed out! He recently had some
head work done. Usually those two little bolts (holding the upper
guide) have a nasty habit of vibrating out. I'll clean the holes with
some brake cleaner (remove all traces of old oil), let it dry... and
use a drop of blue locktite on those bolt heads. Also I prefer to use
the hex head bolts, too.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX