Re: Ignition Lock/Key - 2000

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, Noel Finden <finden@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: Ignition Lock/Key - 2000
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:09:44 -0700
Noel,

I don't know what the answer is, but here's something to try. Unless you
already have tried it!

You can remove the ignition lock. Remove the plastic molding from around
the steering column ignition assembly. There's a few phillip screws to
remove from underneath. Split the two plastic halves and remove.

Pull the wiring connector from the back of the ignition. There should be a
small retaining screw in the back of the ignition lock that holds the
barrel in place. After unscrewing it, you can pull the ignition lock barrel
from the steering column.

Now you can insert the key, and more easily see what's going on with the
mechanical movements.

I suggest buying some graphite powder (comes in a small tube), and spray
some graphite into the keyhole. Then try the key again. If you still have
problems, then the key may be worn out. In any case, it'll be cheaper to
take the tumbler to the locksmith, than to take the locksmith to the car!

Another alternative is to note the key number, and try to buy a matching
used ignition lock or tumbler from a roadster person. A shot in the dark,
but worth a try.

Fred - So.SF, California