Re: Fuel Starvation - Problem Found - I think

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, goldman@kiva.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Starvation - Problem Found - I think
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Sun, 23 May 99 21:16:42 CDT
> I hasn't died on me like it has in the past, but the fuel in the
> fuel filter is black!

Mike,

Before you pull your tank again... replace ALL THE RUBBER
HOSE. Toss the old stuff (regardless of age), and install
some good quality fuel line (GATES, GOODYEAR, ETC. - usually
found at the independant auto parts places, not the "autozone"
"kragen" etc brands).

I had some hose desolve on the inside, while the outside
looked fine. No idea if it was the fuel addiditives, but
the inlet to the carbs looked like black junk. Gooey,
and hard to figure out, until I started slicing fuel line
open. It was the inner wall of the fuel line slowly
disolving itself.

The other possible source, is old fuel will almost turn
black, too. The stuff clogging up the lines of my '63
Datsun (which sat for 10+ years) looked like tar. Still
haven't cleaned it all out, even with "pressurized solvent"
flowing through the metal lines. I will probably end up
replacing the metal line.

When using air to blow out fuel lines... remember there is
an extreme fire hazard with all that atomized fuel mist in
the air from the air pressure. Use extreme caution. Limit
air pressure to 5 psi.

Cheers,

Tom Walter   '67 2000
Austin, TX   '68 2000