Re: Are you in Hawaii?

To: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: Are you in Hawaii?
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 18:05:59 -1000
Ron, thanks for your email, and sorry for delay in replying...

> >ON Hawaii (Big Island).  We had previously lived a number of years on
> >Oahu, leeward side.
> >
> >Bought my roadster from Von Hamm Young, then on Kapiolani, for some
> >$2800 in late 1967.

> Interesting. I'd guess parts might be a problem?

Not really, in these days of FEDEX, and UPS, and the great resourses in
terms of suppliers like Sports-Imports.

> Less than a year later we bought our first 510, afraid that Elayne might
> drop the baby on the roadster floorboard due to the (very rough) brick
> streets common at the time combined with the firm ride of the 2000 (still
> had the original bias ply tires).

Wow, didn't it really make a difference with radial tires!!  Don't think
that there is anything that I can recall made such a dramatic
improvement!

> If we come back out we will bring both our current 510's. The '73 street
> car will make a good second car and I've put far too much money into the
> '71 race car. It'll cost us $802/car from the west coast, but we'll
> probably containerize the '71 here along with what household stuff we
> ship over.

The last time we returned from the mainland '89, I don't think it cost
me any additional to bring the roadster.  We paid for a 40' container
for our household goods, and the roadster fitted in very nicely.  Had a
lot of room left over, and would have brought a lot of other stuff had I
known.  Was some $9000 from East Coast to the Big Island.

 Any parts I can't get on Oahu I can order from Grubbs Nissan
> here in Ft. Worth or from Courtesy, north of Dallas. Courtesy stocks
> everything they can find for all the older cars, roadsters, 510 and Z.
> Call them if you can't get bits on the Big Island, 800/527-1909. Ask for
> Jim Grimes.

Nice to know.  Will do if I'm unable to obtain from my normal sources.

> Oahu's quiet
> (especially windward) compared to D/FW (would you believe 5 million and
> growing), but Hawaii's bound to be even quieter. I'll let you know what
> develops.

Think you will really be surprised with Oahu if you haven't been there
since the '70s.  Certainly, not 5 million, but close to a million in
limited real estate.  The traffic, the parking, the people!!  That's why
when we returned, we decided to buy on the Big Island.  It's great,
except we wish that Kilaua would stop erupting because of the VOG.

Aloha, Dave
'68 1600